The origins of Loreto can be tracedback to the 4th - 5th centuriesB.C. since the whole area is rich with findings of Italic settlements dating from that period.
Later on the oldest part of the town was recorded as one of Montecassino's territories in a document of 884 A.D.
In 1071 Lauretum became a Norman fief thanks to a Taxio Normannus, called Dragone Tassone, who therefore was the first to rule over the village.
Over the centuries the town was under the rule of several aristocratic families such as the D'Avalos, the D'Afflitto, the Caracciolo from Melissano up to 1806 when Napoleon occupied the place and the fief was abolished.
In the old town centre a number of noteworthy monuments can be admired: the Church of S. Pietro Apostolo, whose origins are recorded in documents dating back to 1066; the Church of S. Francesco with its Abbey (1247) where nowadays the Town Hall has its offices. S. Maria in Piano is an outstanding Romanesque Church, which stands not far from town, surrounded by woods of olive trees. The first document concerning this monument dates back to 962 and it shows that the Church was offered as a gift to the Abbey of S. Bartolomeo. Its origins, however, can be traced back to the 5th century A.D. when, as a consequence of a decree of the Emperor Honorius on 15th November 408 , most pagan temples were turned into Christian Churches. Particularly interesting are the frescoes representing the Judgement dating from the XIV - XV c. which decorate the inside of the façade.

On the Monday after Pentecost the Patron Saint, St Zopitus, is celebrated with the festival of the white ox; in summertime the festival " Il sacro e il profano" offers the tourist the opportunity to taste the traditional dishes of the region and see a number of craftsmen at work.It is in this wonderful background, in one of the oldest streets of the town, via del Baio, that the B&B Lauretum is located.

Santa Maria in Piano

  Bed & Breakfast Lauretum - Via del Baio, 3 - 65014 Loreto Aprutino (PE) Italy - Tel. +39 349 2979293